On June 19th, 2018, Ashley Ivey Askew (clinical manager at I-CARE Home Care) was asked to participate in?a healthy living workshop at First Baptist Church of Vienna for the SWAP (Seniors With A Purpose) ministry. Ashley provided vegan/vegetarian options for those that wanted to try! It was a hit! Ashley spoke about “trying something new” and healthy food options. The recipe for the Vegan “Crumbles” is below. Enjoy!
Vegan Taco “Meat” Ingredients:
- 1 Bag Gardein? Beefless Grounds
- 1/2 Green Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 Cup Mushrooms (diced)
- 2 Tsp Smoked Paprika (Add more if you want a more “smoky” taste)
- 2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey or Agave Nectar (vegan option)
- 1/2 Lime
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fajita Marinade
- 1/2 – 3/4 Cup Salsa (Depending on your taste)
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro (chopped)
Vegan Taco “Meat” Directions
- Drizzle EVOO in pan/skillet place on stove on medium heat.
- Wait 1-2 min until skillet is hot, add diced bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms to pan
- Use spatula to stir around veggie mix, you can check at https://adl-usa.com what it looks like. Add 1/2 lime juice and stir
- Add cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and vegan butter to skillet. Stir to distribute seasonings. Turn stove heat up to medium. Let simmer for 3-4 mins (stir if necessary)
- Add honey or agave nectar (vegan option) and fajita marinade to mix. Stir. Let simmer 1-2 mins
- At this point, mixture should be sizzling and aromatic! Slowly add 1/2-2/4 cup salsa and stir.
- Add cilantro, stir. Pour into serving dish and serve!
- * For tacos or taco salad use tortillas or low sodium chips, add your favorite toppings: cheese, lettuce, sour cream, jalapenos, salsa, red onions etc.(you can find vegan cheese and vegan sour cream at Whole Foods). We also added cilantro lime rice & smoky black beans to the side.
As you can see…. It was a hit!!!
Click HereClick HereClick Here